The School of Architecture recognizes that at times students may believe that a grade has been unfairly assigned and wish to dispute it. The school adheres to the procedures for academic related grievances found in the university’s General Information Catalog (GIC) and therefore, undergraduate students majoring in a program within the School of Architecture have the right to bring a grade dispute by following the steps outlined below.

First Step |  Instructor of Record

The student must first contact the instructor of record to discuss the grade dispute. The instructor may ask the student for additional materials, as necessary, in an effort to resolve the dispute. If the grade dispute remains unresolved, the student can then initiate the second step of the grievance process.

Second Step |  Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs

If the instructor of record does not resolve the dispute, the student has the option of bringing the grievance in writing to the Associate Dean of the program in which the course was listed. The Associate Dean has the discretion to hear the grievance in person or to consider only written materials. The Associate Dean may require additional information as necessary. If the Associate Dean denies the grievance, the student has the option to appeal that decision to the Dean of the School of Architecture.

Third Step |  Dean

Students wishing to appeal to the Dean are required to complete the Grade Dispute Form and provide supporting documentation, as listed on the form. All documents should be submitted in hard copy to the School of Architecture in Goldsmith 2.308. The Dean will review the documents and may contact the student or instructor to obtain additional information. Once the review is complete, the Dean will notify the student of the decision using a Secure Academic Note (SAN). The decision of the Dean is final in these matters. Neither the Associate Dean nor the Dean shall change a grade without first consulting with and fully considering the position of the course instructor. The instructor shall be fully advised as to the resolution of the grievance.

For more information about grade disputes, please contact the Office of the Ombudsperson.