Deadline: January 9, 2017
Send questions and submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Planning Forum is seeking two types of submissions: Inquiries and Explorations. In order to develop a platform for original ideas on planning issues, we are interested in publishing both scholarly research and other, more varied forms. Detailed information on each section is included below:
Include a cover page with the submission’s title, author’s name, phone number, email address, and a two- to three-sentence biographical statement. Include a word count and an abstract of no more than 150 words. All submissions are blind-reviewed. The authors should identify themselves only on the cover page.
Inquiries Section Guidelines
The Inquiries section is for original scholarly research and is double-blind peer reviewed. Submissions for this section are limited to approximately 6,000 words and 5 images (if applicable). Image resolution should be a minimum of 300 dpi in .jpg or .tiff format. Submissions should follow the APA 6th edition in style for formatting and citation. Diagrams, tables, and images should be on separate sheets with their desired position in the text clearly indicated. All maps, tables, graphs, figures, etc. should be provided via email attachment as manipulable data (i.e. editable spreadsheets, compressed folder of ArcGIS .mxd files with all sub-files).
Explorations Section Guidelines
Submissions to the Explorations section may take a variety of forms. Critical, theoretical, and exploratory essays, personal or journalistic accounts, interviews and conversations are all welcome, in addition to photo essays and other creative visual or written work. Submissions for the Explorations section are limited to approximately 1,500 words and 3 images (if applicable) for primarily written work OR 500 words and 10 images for primarily visual work. Diagrams, tables, and images should be on separate sheets with their desired position in the text clearly indicated. All tables, graphs, figures, etc. should be provided via email attachment as manipulable data (i.e. editable spreadsheets, compressed folder of ArcGIS .mxd files with all sub-files).
The Editorial Board (made up of current doctoral and masters students in the Community and Regional Planning Department at The University of Texas at Austin) and peer reviewers (faculty or PhD students in planning or allied fields) evaluate submissions with regard to their interest/originality, writing quality, and academic rigor. Planning Forum uses a double-blind review process.
In all cases, for both Inquiries and Explorations sections, final decision regarding revisions and publishing of submissions rests with the Managing Editors.
Submissions to the Inquiries section are first evaluated by the Editorial Board and articles found appropriate for the journal are reviewed by two peer reviewers. Throughout the review process authors remain anonymous to the Editorial Board and reviewers. In order to be published, submissions must be revised by authors to address comments and questions raised by reviewers.
Submissions to the Explorations section are evaluated by the Editorial Board, which makes recommendations to the Managing Editors whether to publish submissions. Managing Editors may provide reviews of submissions, though not in all cases. Authors are required to address comments and questions raised in reviews in subsequent revisions.
Planning Forum (the “Publisher”) and the Author(s) agree as follows:
- Publication and Promotion: In consideration of the Publisher’s agreement to publish the Work, Author hereby grants and assigns to Publisher the non-exclusive right to print, publish, reproduce, or distribute the Work throughout the world in all means of expression by any method now known or hereafter developed, including electronic format, and to market Work or any part of it as Publisher sees fit. Author further grants Publisher the right to use Author’s name in association with the Work in published form and in advertising and promotional materials.
- Copyright: Copyright of the Work remains in Author’s name.
- Prior Publication and Attribution: Author agrees not to publish the Work in print form prior to publication of the Work by the Publisher. Author agrees to cite, by author, title, and publisher, the original College & Research Libraries publication when publishing the Work elsewhere.
- Author Representations: The Author represents and warrants that the Work: (a) is the Author’s original Work and that Author has full power to enter into this Agreement; (b) does not infringe the copyright or property of another; (c) contains no material which is obscene, libelous, defamatory.
- Licensing and Reuse: Unless another option is selected below, reuse of the published Work will be governed by a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License (CC BY-NC 3.0). This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon the Work non-commercially; although new works must acknowledge the original College and Research Libraries publication and be non-commercial, they do not have to be licensed on the same terms.